Charles S. Abbey or Charlie Abbey as he was commonly known as, was a former American baseball player who plied his trade during the years reminiscent of the19th century, making him one of the earliest names in the Major League Baseball history. He personified his presence as a left-handed batsman and thrower with his primary position being the outfielder.
Charlie Abbey played for over 11 seasons as a professional baseball player. His career involved 5 seasons in the Major League Baseball (MLB). Apart from the stint with MLB teams, he also played along for the minor league teams.
Charlie Abbey was born on October 14, 1866, in Falls City, Nebraska. He began his career with the Independent League Beatrice in Nebraska during 1888. He then played for Kearney, Nebraska baseball team the next year. He further had stints with multiple teams like St. Paul Apostles, Portland Gladiators, Columbus Reds, Ishpeming-Negaunee Unions and Marinette Badgers before making his bow with the MLB team Washington Senators. He remained with MLB team Washington Senators for the entire of his career.
He breathed his last at the age of 59 on April 27, 1926, in San Francisco, California. He was buried back in Steele Cemetery, Falls City, Nebraska after his death.
He played for a single team for the entire length of his MLB career with Washington Senators.
- Batting: Left Handed
- Throwing: Left Handed
- Position: Outfielder
- MLB Debut: August 16, 1893
- Debut Team: Washington Senators
- Last MLB Appearance: August 19, 1897
- Last Team Appearance in MLB: Washington Senators
- Teams: Washington Senators (1893- 1897)
- Batting Average: .281
- Home Runs: 19
- Runs Batted in 280
- Stolen Bases: 93
- Occupation: Professional Baseball Player
- Date of Birth: October 14, 1866
- Place of Birth: Falls City, Nebraska
- Death: April 27, 1926 (Aged 59)
- Place of Death: San Francisco, California
- Buried:Steele Cemetery, Falls City, Nebraska
- Gender: Male
- Spouse: Felicity Roman
- Children: Lucille
- Height in m: 1.72 m
- Height in ft: 5 feet 8 inches
- Height in cm: 172 cm
- Weight in kg: 77 kilograms approx.
- Weight in thepound: 169 lbs.
- Nationality: American
Charlie Abbey can be traced back in the history books of major baseball references that have been preserved for good.