James Anthony Abbott or simply Jim Abbot as he is primarily known by is a retired American Major League Baseball player who plied his trade in as a professional player. He had a career spanning for a decade in MLB with 4 major teams.
Jim Abbott was born on September 19, 1967, at Flint, Michigan. He grew up in the East Village of his hometown and studied at the nearby Central High School. He continued his education at the university and followed with a professional career in baseball. He currently serves as a motivational speaker.
- He won the James E. Sullivan Award for being the best amateur athlete in the nation in 1987.
- He had also won a gold medal in the demonstration event at the 1988 Summer Olympics.
- After finishing his stint at MLB player, he ventured as a motivational speaker and serves the basis.
- He was also awarded the Tony Conigliaro Award in 1992. The award is given annually by the Boston Red Sox to the Major League Baseball player.
Central High School, Flint, Michigan; University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Batting: Left Handed
- Throwing: Left Handed
- Position: Pitcher
- Drafted: By California Angels as an amateur in 1988.
- MLB Debut: April 9, 1989
- Debut Team: California Angels
- Last MLB Appearance: July 21, 1999
- Last Team Appearance in MLB: Milwaukee Brewers
- Teams: California Angels (1989-1992), New York Yankees (1993-1994), Chicago White Sox (1995), California Angels (1995-1996), Chicago White Sox (1998), Milwaukee Brewers (1999).
- Win-Loss Record: 87-108
- Earned Run Average:4.25
- Strikeouts: 888
- Occupation: Professional Baseball Player
- Date of Birth: September 19, 1967
- Age (As of current): 49 years
- Place of Birth: Flint, Michigan
- Gender: Male
- Height in m: 1.90 m
- Height in ft: 6 feet 3 inches
- Height in cm: 190 cm
- Weight in kg: 90 kilograms approx.
- Weight in the pound: 200 lbs.
- Nationality: American
Jim Abbott released his autobiography titled ‘Imperfect: An Improbable Life’ in 2012. The autobiography was co-written by Tim Brown and was published by Ballantine Books.